Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Site Link is broken!

So the other day I had to delete the My Site of a couple users who had left, I have done it a million times and never had a problem. That day a couple hours after the deletion, I get a communicator from a user, I can't edit My Links, it keeps asking for a username and password, but won't take it... Further investigation reveals that when clicking on My Site on the title bar does the same thing. What was strange was it worked if you used the actual URL.

Time to do some research, here is what I found...
Sometime when you are using Site Settings -> Delete this Site it accidentally deletes the My Site Host. Not a big deal but a pain in the butt, so here is how to fix that pain without Preparation H.

1. Go to Central Administration and click on Application Management.
2. Under SharePoint Site Management click Create Site Collection.
3. Choose your My Site Web Application and give it a title of My Site
4. Choose the My Site Root (should be there by default)
5. For Template, under the Enterprise Tab -> choose My Site Host
6. Enter in your Site Collection Administrator Account and an Alternate
7. Choose a Quota (if Applicable)
8. Click OK.

It will plug away and when completed should show you a link to your My Site. Test it out, it should now work.

Hope that helps someone out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment